Breakout Shorts is an international short film festival for independent filmmakers. We are proud to be a diverse competition - open to various genres, nationalities and skill-sets.
We welcome first-time to professional filmmakers. Our competition is open to short narrative films 40 minutes or less.
Submissions close February 28, 2019. All submissions will then be reviewed and judged by our team of experienced film professionals.
By March 17, 2019, you will be notified if your film has been selected for our live screening event in Edinburgh, Scotland on the 4th May 2019. Selection to the event will also include a nomination for Best Short Film.
Our short screenplay competition has now closed. The winning short screenplay was announced on November 11, 2019.
BEST SHORT FILM
The winning short film, as voted for by our judges, will receive our coveted trophy and $1000 cash prize.
BEST SHORT SCREENPLAY - AWARDED
Submissions have now closed for our short screenplay competition.
The winning short screenplay was awarded on November 11, 2018.
The recipient, Mark Oxtoby received our trophy and $250 cash prize for his short screenplay My Week with Maisy.
1. All films must be submitted in a digital format via FilmFreeway.
2. Foreign language films must be submitted with English subtitles.
3. International films are welcome.
4. Our standard submission fee is $10.00.
5. Please make sure you own the copyright to all aspects of your work, including music and footage - your film WILL be rejected if found to be in breach of copyright.
6. More than one entry may be submitted. Each film has to be submitted separately.
7. Short films MUST be between 1 and 40 minutes in duration (including opening and closing credits).
8. We accept films that have already been submitted to other film festivals/competitions.
9. If your material is available to watch on a video sharing platform such as YouTube, you can still enter as we want to support filmmakers growing their audience and availability.
10. All films must be produced after December 31, 2015.
By submitting, you hereby agree to the terms listed above. Breakout Film Festival may also use your film for promotional purposes on our website and social media platforms.